Some of the important values / characteristics /developments of the present day social / cultural
context in Ireland:
- The vast majority of people have completed second-level education. Many have completed third-level eduction and have degrees in various disciplines, including Theology and Scripture. People have many gifts and much to contribute
to the life of the Church.
- In spite of all the progress that has taken place,there continues to be a hunger in our hearts for the spiritual to give a sense of purpose to our lives.
- People are accustomed to making their own choices in life in almost every sphere. This carries through to their living of the Christian faith and needs to be addressed as part of today’s world.
- People legitimately expect to participate actively in anything that impacts on their lives. The parish needs to be shaped by this if it is to enable its members to fulfil their Christian mission.
- Almost every parish has people who have come from other countries and other cultures. A parish needs to welcome this diversity and be enriched by it.
- In a time of increased affluence or recession, Christians are called to be aware of their social responsibility, aware of injustice and the reality of poverty and deprivation. This call needs to be taken account of in the parish community.